In 1997 he signed a deal with Acid Jazz’s Roots label and since then, through on-going collaborations, his career as a producer has been anthologised and developed, including the release of a series of archive King Tubby and Scientist mixes, the use of his masters to be sampled by Nas (on “The Don”), Protoje and others, and re-issues of his classic albums. To celebrate 40 year of Midnight Rock, last year Thomas went back into his tape archive to unearth another 10 tracks, either with original vocals or guest names brought in.
Behind original rhythms recorded at Channel 1, Tuff Gong and others, featuring the Roots Radics and The Midnight Rock Band and mixed in places like King Jammy’s and Tubby’s we are given a line-up of stellar talent. We have Lynval Thomson with the plaintive ‘I Can Be Your Man’, and forthright Super Cat on ‘Me Glad She Gone’ and first rare Luciano on ‘Good Thing Goin’ On. They are joined by Courtney Melody, Pinchers and Joesy Wales, Daville and more. Keeping the circle whole Thomas appears on two tracks including the future classic ‘Sounds A Go Dead Tonight’ with Junior Vibes.
1. I Can Be Your Man - Linval Thompson
2. Good Thing Goin’ On - Luciano
3. Hey Sexy Lady - Courtney Melody
4. I Love To Smoke - Gryphan
5. Sounds A Go Dead Tonight - Jah Thomas & Junior Vibes
6. All A The Gal Them - Pinchers & Jose Wale
7. Me Glad She Gone- Super Cat
8. Drunk And Stage - Jah Thomas
9. Since I Laid Eyes On You - Daville
10. Love Songs Are Back Again (Adopted Song) - Tony Curtis, Ghost & Mitch