So yeah, you can still count upon a shedload of gritty funk and stony soul (not sure where this metaphor’s going..?) but the new record displays a stripped back musicality, a depth that maybe hasn’t been there before. It’s been coming across his last few releases, but this is the most complete, sustained exploration of where his music is at right now. In Carthy’s own pithy words it’s “tougher, sparser, less samples, more bass. More vocals and collaborations and shorter tunes.”
If this record proves anything, it’s that there’s more, much more to the work of Andy Carthy than dancefloor grooves and funny cartoons.
Don’t worry though - it is still one sexy potato.
01. Stereo Breath Feat. Denis Jones
02. Render Me Feat. Denis Jones
04. Thought To The Meaning Feat. Denis Jones
05. Friendly Bacteria
06. Come Find Me Feat. Vanessa Freeman
07. Where Am I?
08. He Don't Feat. Robert Owens
10. We Are Coming
11. Catch Sound Feat. Denis Jones
12. Feel Free