Over the ensuing decades funk has been a thread through a number of emerging scenes, from acid jazz to the smartly named Deep Funk and was also mined relentlessly by hip hop and dance producers who were looking to the past, to create something for today.
Some of these records, featured here, are now famed as classics of the genre by the likes of New Orleans producer Eddie Bo who became revered by collectors and found a new lease in life, and Lee Fields who has gone from being an obscure Carolinian artist to having his new recordings featured on TV programs. Deep Fried Funk is the descendant of those earlier Charly compilations and begins its journey with some ever-green cuts that have remained popular ever since that time. It also gathers together records from Chicago to New Orleans with many points in-between to deliver a comprehensive overview of some of the greatest, sweatiest funk ever made. Get ready to dance!
• Funk classics and super rarities brought together for the first time.
• Compiled by renowned collector and authority Tim Brown.
• Curated and annotated in London by Dean Rudland (Acid Jazz).
1. Let The Groove Move You
3. Stick It In Your Ear Hole
4. Brothers And Sisters
5. Searchin' (Part 1)
6. Hot, Funky, And Sweaty
7. Pop, Popcorn Children
8. Double Determination
9. You Move Me, Pt. 2
10. Son Of A Son Of A Slave
11. Get Up (If You Want To Be Somebody)
12. Everybody Gonna Give Their Thing Away To Somebody (Sometime)
13. Gossip, Gossip
14. A Hunk O' Funk
1. Never Gonna Let You Go
2. My Heart Would Never Lie To Me
3. S.G.B. (Stone Graveyard Business)
4. Get Out Of My Window
5. Two Fools
6. Itch And Scratch
7. I Don't Dig No Phoney - Part 1
8. Bad Thing
9. Funky Belly
10. Comin' To Bring You Some Soul
11. What Do You See In Her?
12. Mr Bump Man (Give Me A Hand), Pt. 2
13. Moon Walk