About this item
All formats come with a free Piccadilly Records EOY Sampler CD whilst stocks last.
Following on from the Primal Scream frontman’s brilliantly-received previous release for Ace, ‘Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down’, Bobby Gillespie brings us another slice of the music that soundtracks his life. And in this case, it’s his touring life. Drawing on the experience of ‘the way that the noise and clamour of the road can tire you out, wear you down and frazzle your nerves to shattered fragments of jangled exhaustion’, these are the records Bobby turns to for solace, for comfort, for empathy and for resourcefulness.
The compilation features an introduction from the man himself, talking us through his personal choices as though he’s sitting cross-legged on the carpet going through records with you in his lounge. Also long-time cohort of the band, Kris Needs has written extensive liner-notes, serving up an intensive track by track insight and analysis.
Titled after and kicking off with the Willie Nelson track of the same name, ‘I Still Can’t Believe You’re Gone’ leads us through a darker and deeper exploration than its predecessor, featuring Nick Cave’s funereal version of ‘By The Time I Get To Phoenix’ and Ry Cooder’s sparse and beautiful reworking of ‘Dark End Of The Street’. And we get there via such greats as Bob Dylan, JJ Cale, Donnie Fritts, Crazy Horse, Lee Hazlewood, Al Green, Thin Lizzy and so many more.
In Bobby’s own words: ‘These songs are soul savers to soothe frayed and battered nerves and to ease and settle the heart. They work on me like medicine every time. I would like to share this wonderful music that has given me strength, joy and inspiration over the years with you the listener, so that you too might get the same feelings of protection and inspiration that I do whenever I listen to these songs. We're all travellers on some kind of road through this life, and we all need respite from time-to-time - the music on this compilation is soul food of the highest order - I hope you enjoy it.’.
Andy says: Read any interview with Primal Scream's Bobby Gillespie over the years, and you can't fail to notice what a ridiculously knowledgeable fan of musical history he is. It's there in the multitude of styles his band have always explored, and it's there in his previous compilation for Ace, ‘Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down’. Guess what? This second outing is even better!
1. I Still Can't Believe You're Gone – Willie Nelson
2. Love Sick - Bob Dylan
3. We Had It All - Donnie Fritts
4. Magnolia - J.J. Cale
5. In The Rain - The Dramatics *
1. By The Time I Get To Phoenix – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
2. I Don't Want To Talk About It - Crazy Horse
3. Dark End Of The Street - Ry Cooder
4. Kind Woman - Percy Sledge
5. Wait And See - Lee Hazlewood
1. Strong As Death (Sweet As Love) - Al Green
2. Shades Of A Blue Orphanage - Thin Lizzy
3. Heart Like A Wheel - Kate & Anna Mcgarrigle
4. When My Mind's Gone - Mott The Hoople
1. I'll Be Long Gone - Boz Scaggs
2. The Coldest Days Of My Life Pt 1 – The Chi-Lites
3. Roll Um Easy - Little Feat
4. Brokedown Palace - Grateful Dead
5. I Feel Like Going Home - Charlie Rich
* Exclusive Vinyl Track