- Record Label
- Third Man Records
About this item
As the hometown girls who conquered the world, Diana Ross and the Supremes are inarguably the most successful, highest selling girl group of all time. From their inauspicious start as the long-forgotten Primettes, to their ascension past the moniker of “no-hit Supremes” through the ranks of Motown’s rank-and-file to globe-trotting superstars, this group is as pure and quintessential Detroit Motor City as you can get.
Originally released on 2xCD in in 2008, the Supremes “Supreme Rarities” from the Motown Lost & Found Series collects from the depths of the label archives to showcase the rarities, the outtakes and the incomparable live recordings from this inimitable group of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees. Listen to the story unfold from the innocent teenaged doo-wop of “You Can Depend On Me” from 1960 all the way through the slick, socially-conscious refinement of “I’m Livin’ in Shame” from 1969. Aside from a handful of forgotten vinyl releases decades ago, the majority of this material has not been released on vinyl. Until now.
Third Man, in a unique partnership with Universal Music, has taken this double-CD and turned it into a glorious 4xLP collection housed in an impeccably-designed slipcase, all watercolor pastel vibrant photos highlight how absolutely impeccable this group is.
Of particular interest is that “Supreme Rarities” are the first Motown records EVER pressed in the city of Detroit. Diana Ross attended high school at Cass Tech, a mere mile away from Third Man Pressing where this title was lovingly pressed, which is also just a mile away from the Brewster-Douglass Housing Projects where Ross and fellow Supremes Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard all grew up.
The 48 tracks included here include the earliest Primettes tracks, invigorating covers of The Rolling Stones “Satisfaction” and the Beatles “I Saw Her Standing There”, along with renditions of hits for OTHER Motown artists like “Mickey’s Monkey” and “Uptight (Everything’s Alright)” in addition to alternate vocal takes of stone cold certified smashes like “You Can’t Hurry Love” and “Someday We’ll Be Together.” And if you want the hits medley, “Come See About Me”, “Baby Love” and “Stop! In the Name of Love” will wonderfully whet your appetite.
1. You Can Depend On Me
2. Tears Of Sorrow (Motown Re-recording, From Diane's Boots)
3. Because I Love Him
4. Hey Baby (version 1) (Flo Lead)
5. Too Hot
6. You're Gonna Come To Me (version 1)
7. You're Gonna Come To Me (version 2)
8. It Makes No Difference Now (alternate Version) (Mary, Flo & Diane Turns At Lead, Wonderful Harmonies)
9. Come On Boy (alternate Version)
10. Just Call Me (stereo Mix)
11. I Saw Him Standing There (3 Part Harmony Lead, Flo On Top)
12. Not Fade Away (as Above But Better Yet! Eerie, Awesome Harmonies)
13. Ooowee Baby (alternate Mix)
14. It's All Your Fault (version 1)
15. Hits Medley: Come See About Me/Baby Love/Stop! In The Name Of Love
16. Cupid (alternate Extended Mix)
17. Take Me Where You Go (version 3)
18. Back In My Arms Again (alternate Vocal)
19. You Can't Hurry Love (alternate Vocal) - Alternate Lead By Diane, With Mistake!
20. Mickey's Monkey
21. Uptight (Everything's Alright) (alternate Vocal)
22. It's Not Unusual
23. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
24. Come And Get These Memories (alternate Mix) (Mary Lead, As On 'A Go Go')
25. I Can't Help Myself (alternate Mix)
26. Let The Music Play (alternate Vocal)
27 Don't Let True Love Die (extended Version)
28 What A Friend We Have In Jesus
29 Every Time I Feel The Spirit
30 Believe In Me
31 The Beginning Of The End Of Love (stereo Mix)
32 People (unedited Version) (Diane Lead (Flo Did It Elsewhere))
33 Over The Rainbow
34 Wish I Knew
35 I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You
36 I'll Set You Free (alternate Vocal)
37 Ain't No Sun Since You've Been Gone
38 In The Evening Of Our Love
39 Love Child (alternate Vocal) - With Additional Lyrics!
40 Those Precious Memories
41 I'm Livin' In Shame (version 1)
42 MacArthur Park
43 You're Gonna Hear From Me
44 Canadian Sunset
45 Autumn Leaves
46 The Look Of Love
47 Someday We'll Be Together (alternate Vocal)
48 BONUS: Scott Regan Promos - 6 Mins Fascinating Radio Interviews And 'phone Ins From The Girls, To Detroit Radio Station. Flo Was A Great Flirt!