About this item
As featured in the Piccadilly Records End Of Year Review 2017 Top 20 Compilations. Comes with an EXCLUSIVE End Of Year CD sampler. Click HERE for more info.
The latest project from two-thirds of Saint Etienne is a compact disc and deluxe double LP of English music that represented the transition from psychedelia to prog as the 60s moved into the 70s. Most of it is not an easy listen, but it’s always interesting, melodic, melancholy, with jazz and folk touches.
Barry says: A hugely diverse and transformative collection of classic rock, unheard jazzy gems and pastoral folk-tinged rarities. Dreamy in places, somewhat meditative and gloomy in others, but thoroughly brilliant throughout. Superbly curated and a thoroughly enjoyable listen.
Andy says: Beautifully evocative snapshot (both aural and visual: check the cover photo!) of a bygone era: British head-rock, late 60's/early 70's.There are some biggish names (Camel, Caravan, John Cale) but mostly this is under the radar stuff and all the better for it. Easy on the ear prog, folk and rock with a hint of jazzyness, you really are transported to another time and place.
1. LOVE SONG WITH FLUTE - Caravan
2. MOON BIRD - The Roger Webb Sound
3. EARLY MORNING EYES - The Parlour Band
4. PAMELA - Scotch Mist
5. THE PRISONER (EIGHT BY TEN) - Spring
6. LAST CLOUD HOME - The Orange Bicycle
7. JLT - T2
8. TIL THE CHRIST COME BACK - Bill Fay
9. REFUGEES - Van Der Graaf Generator
10. VERY NICE OF YOU TO CALL - Aardvark
11. BIG WHITE CLOUD - John Cale
12. BOTTLES - Belle Gonzalez
13. WATCHING WHITE STARS - The Way We Live
14. WINDFALL - Offspring
15. NEVER LET GO - Camel
16. WISE MAN IN YOUR HEART - Daevid Allen
17. O CAROLINE - Matching Mole
18. EDGE OF THE SEA - Prelude
19. EVENING SHADE - Alan Parker & Alan Hawkshaw