ABOUT THIS ITEM
Soul Jazz Records latest release provides an overview of British composers who worked in television, film and music libraries the second half of the 20th century.
Aside from John Barry, whose work on the James Bond films made him a household name. The majority of composers featured here remain relatively unknown. And yet ironically they have created some of the most recognisable songs in British popular culture, their music widely disseminated on television. This album is not however a stroll through the TV memories of the mind, but an exploration of the serious contribution that these creative musicians have on the landscape of popular music in Britain. Most of the music featured here was commissioned by music libraries such as KPM, De Wolfe, Chappell, Bruton, Themes International, Peer International, Conroy and Amphonic.
A quick roll call of these would include Neil Richardson (who composed the theme tune to ‘Mastermind’) and Barry Stoller (who wrote ‘Match Of The Day’). The Simon Park Orchestra’s’ Eye Level’, theme song to the BBC series ‘Van der Valk’, reached number one in 1973. CCS’s cover of Led Zeppelin’s ‘Whole Lotta Love’ was the theme tune to ‘Top Of The Pops’.
However, this album is not just a stroll through the TV memories of the mind. It’s an exploration of the serious contribution that these creative musicians have on the landscape of popular music in Britain.
Here then is a guide to the amazing music of many of the composers (both well known and obscure) responsible for some of the most widely known music ever to come out of Britain in the second half of the 20th Century.
1. Barry Stoller - Condition Red (2.01)
2. Pentangle - Light Flight (Theme From Take Three Girls) (3.13)
3. Geoff Love And His Orchestra - Three Days Of The Condor (3.12)
4. The Tony Hatch Sound - Man Alive (2.01)
5. Richard Denton And Martin Cook - Tomorrow's World (4.10)
6. Brian Fahey And His Orchestra - At The Sign Of The Swingin' Cymbal (2.05)
7. Bullet - The Contract Man (2.27)
8. Syd Dale - Man Friday (2.35)
9. The Laurie Johnson Orchestra - Echo Four-Two (2.12)
10. Keith Papworth - Hard Hitter (2.53)
11. John Barry - The Persuaders (2.07)
12. Roy Budd - Getting Nowhere In A Hurry (3.08)
13. The Simon Park Orchestra - Dawn To Dusk (3.07)
14. The Marylebone Orchestra - Fiesta Numero Uno (2.15)
15. Sort Of Soul - Bird 'n Brass (2.47)
16. Johnny Gregory And His Orchestra - The Avengers (2.06)
17. Johnny Harris - Fragment Of Fear (4.07)
18. Roy Budd - Get Carter (2.58)
19. Neil Richardson - Guide Path (1.43).
1. Brian Bennett - Canvas (2.34)
2. Wil Malone - Death Line (3.06)
3. Syd Dale - Huckleberry Fine (3.28)
4. The Harry Roche Constellation - Spiral (10.36)
5. The Ivor And Basil Kirchin Band - Jungle Fire Dance (2.36)
6. The Laurie Johnson Orchestra - The New Avengers Theme (2.21)
7. James Clarke + Sounds - Folk Song (3.10)
8. The Reg Tilsley Orchestra - Strike Rich (2.49)
9. The Barry Gray Orchestra - Joe 90 (1.57)
10. Keith Mansfield - Soul Thing (3.15)
11. C.C.S. - Whole Lotta Love (3.32)
12. Syd Dale - Artful Dodger (2.34)
13. John Gregory And His Orchestra - Jaguar (3.37)
14. Nick Ingman - Down Home (2.59)
15. Barbara Moore - Steam Heat (2.53)
16. Alan Parker - Angels (2.58)
17. Alan Moorhouse - Face Up (2.30).