ABOUT THIS ITEM
Strut link up again with leading lights in the new generation of collectives celebrating heavy tropical music, Sofrito. Fuelled by the unquenchable thirst of DJs Hugo Mendez and Frankie Francis to turn up new music and explore sounds from across the ages, Sofrito has built a unique reputation since it began life in the warehouses of East London in the mid 2000s. Now, following the success and critical acclaim of their debut compilation in association with Strut ("Sofrito - Tropical Discotheque") Hugo and Frankie bring the long-awaited follow-up, "Sofrito - International Soundclash".
The new selection effortlessly mixes the old with the new, plucking dusty gems from Trinidad, Colombia, Dominica, Congo, Cameroun and beyond. Exclusives include the deep Pacifico sound of Grupo Canalon’s "La Zorra y El Perol" - a new project from Nidia Góngora, singer with Quantic's Combo Barbaro - a previously unreleased track by UK/Kenyan sensations Owiny Sigoma Band, and a tropical treats edit of Haiti’s dynamite Les Difficiles de Petion-Ville. Other highlights include an incendiary lesson in Soca groove from Lord Shorty, stunning up-to-the-minute carnival sounds from Guadeloupe's Mas Ka Klé, all backed up by deep bassline Cadence, synthed-out Soukous and other Afro-Latin encounters.
Over the last year Sofrito have brought their inimitable vibes to clubs across the world - sharing the stage with Haitian Ra Ra collectives in Paris, running all-night sessions in Bogota alongside Quantic, warehouse parties with the Owiny Sigoma Band in London and sweaty parties in illicit lofts in Brooklyn.
Their "Sofrito Super Singles" vinyl series continues to make waves on the underground, unleashing raw dancefloor edits and attracting the likes of Daphni (aka Dan Snaith), DrumTalk and Sweden's Tropical Treats to contribute guest re-works. For this release, visual maestro Lewis Heriz interprets Sofrito's fresh perspective on the world with a specially designed cut-out globe on a pull-out poster to accompany the CD and Double LP.
1. Lord Shorty & Vibrations International - Vibrations Groove
2. La Pesada - Cumbia Y Tambo (En La Lluvia)
3. Midnight Groovers - O Ti Yo
4. Les Difficiles De Pétion-Ville - Fe'm Confiance (Tropical Treats Edit)
5. Owiny Sigoma Band - Nabed Nade Ei Piny Ka F
6. Mas Ka Klé - Lésé Yo Palé
7. Kiland Et L'Orchestre Mabatalaï - Pour Chercher Le Magot
8. Bell'a Njoh - Ebolo
9. Concept Neuf - The Path (Sofrito Edit)
10. Grupo Canalon - La Zorra Y El Perol
11. Les Vikings - Ambiance (Guhe Huiamo)
12. Sartana Et Son Groupe Mistral - Information Par Le Mistral
13. Luis Kalaff Y Sus Alegres Dominicanos - Agarralo Que Eso Es Tuyo
14. Afro Festival Led By Fantastic Tchico Tchicaya - El Manicero
15. Melodica Teens Band - Mwekuru Muthao